The Color of My Resilience - Self Care Journal for Black Men
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even." Muhammad Ali
From the cities to the suburbs, from public schools to private colleges, from churches to mosques, from A Dream Deferred to I Am a Man, the lives of Black men matter. Not a bandwagon slogan but a rallying cry for equity . . . for justice . . . for a fullness of life.
Happiness. Security. Manhood.
The Color of My Resilience: A Guided Self-Care Journal for Black Men is intended to foster and support self-awareness and reflection in a safe environment. The depiction of more than a dozen images of Black men reflects the diversity of Black manhood. This guided journal will cast a spotlight into your heart, mind, and soul, then take you on a hero's journey of self-discovery, reflection, and action.
The guided journal will help you:
- Describe your struggles and successes
- Plan for and think about your self-care routines
- Assess your current self-care
- Identify your allies, values, aptitudes, interests, and strengths
- Examine your emotional triggers
- Plan long-and-short-term goals
- Get to know and understand yourself on a deep, meaningful level
The book provides six different reflection strategies, as well as essays and a poem written by Black men. From a Meyerhoff Scholar graduate to a historian and educator to a poet and songwriter, these men have opened their hearts and shared their stories of resilience.