Kwanzaa: From Holiday to Every Day
Traditionally, Kwanzaa brings family, friends, and the community together for a winter celebration. But Kwanzaa can be a part of your life year-round. The 20 million people of African descent who celebrate this holiday steeped in cultural richness observe the holiday for its seven principles—principles that inspire the individual and promote community. Whether you’re a first-time celebrant or a seasoned veteran, Kwanzaa: From Holiday to Every Day is a must-have reference for making Kwanzaa special for you and your loved ones. With this book, you’ll learn:
• Planning for daily observance and festive gatherings
• The seven principles at the heart of Kwanzaa
• How to involve everyone in your Karamu (feast)
• Recipes for traditional dishes you can make at home
• Zawadi (gifts) that reflect your values
• Popular Kwanzaa songs and even one Kwanzaa rap
• Where to find the best Kwanzaa accessories
• And more!
Let this holiday guide show you how to turn your Kwanzaa observance into a way of life to enrich your family, friends, and community.
"Of the several books on Kwanzaa, few are invested with such utility as Maitefa Angaza's thorough-going discussion and analysis . . . a meaningful, wonderful guide." —Herb Boyd, author of We Shall Overcome: The History of the Civil Rights Movement As It Happened